The Kansas Roofing Registration Act was enacted by the Kansas Legislature and signed by the Governor on April 22, 2013. Under the provisions of this law, on and after July 1, 2013, every “roofing contractor” must obtain a roofing contractor registration certificate from the Kansas Attorney General in order to legally provide commercial or residential roofing services for a fee in Kansas.
Homeowners are encouraged to reference the following website for a listing of roofing contractors who have completed the registration requirements pursuant to the Kansas roofing registration act, or contact the Attorney General’s office at (800) 432-2310 for further questions:
In addition to the registration certificate, before soliciting door to door roofing contractors must obtain a Peddler’s License issued by the City of St. Francis, which includes a background check and proof of insurance.
Here are some helpful tips to protect yourself from fraudulent door-to-door sales:
- Never let a salesperson into your home unless you are sure of who they are and why they are there.
- Ask to see their peddler’s license, it is required by your local city government.
- Ask for written information on the company and salesperson and take plenty of time to read it and shop around, rather than making a purchasing decision on-the-spot. A legitimate salesperson will be happy to leave their business card and come back if you decide to make a purchase.
- If the salesperson says it is a special deal for “today only,” it’s probably too good to be true.
- Never pay for door-to-door purchases with cash. When possible, use a credit card, which will allow you to cancel or dispute the charge.